Disability Pension

For HSPers wondering about eligibility for a disability pension, the place to go is Centrelink http://www.centrelink.gov.au.

There is a lot of information on this website – it tells what the qualifications are for a disability pension, factors affecting the payment rates, eligibility, and current disability payment rates.

Briefly, you may qualify for a government disability pension if you are assessed as having a physical impairment and “unable to work or be retrained for work of at least 15 hours or more per week at or above the relevant minimum wage within the next two years because of your impairment”. Typically a report from your doctor or specialist would be required. You may also need to have a Job Capacity Assessment, http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/services/assessment_services.htm to clarify what you’re capable of work-wise.

The amount of Disability Support Pension you might be eligible for depends on your income and your assets (and if you have a partner, his or her income and assets). Additional factors are considered including whether or not you’re married, if you have dependent children, how much rent you pay etc. In this section of the website, life scenarios are used as examples.

The current maximum disability payments are shown in chart form for recipient categories: single, couples and under 21 years old with no children.

It’s a good, fairly well laid out and easy to use website with a lot of information.



Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *