Changes under the new government
The new Federal Government has already made some changes to the NDIS in their brief time in office. Time will tell how these will affect the scheme, but everyone needs to remain vigilant to keep all politicians encouraged and focused on doing their absolute best for people with disability.
106 MPs have so far backed the National Disability Insurance Scheme. You can see if your MP is on board at this website: http://everyaustraliancounts.com.au/mp_gallery/
Here’s the latest on the NDIS:
- The NDIS has been returned to its original name, and will no longer be known as DisabilityCare Australia.
- Senator Mitch Fifield is responsible for NDIS implementation as Assistant Minister for Social Services. It is concerning that the government does not consider that this fundamental and far-reaching reform warrants being the responsibility of a Cabinet Minister.
- Launch sites in Tasmania, South Australia, the Hunter area in New South Wales and the Barwon area in Victoria are already supporting around 1,500 people with disability.
- Preparation is well underway in the ACT, Northern Territory and Western Australia for their launches, which start in July 2014.
- The NDIS will begin in Queensland in 2016.
The NDIS publish an electronic newsletter. The latest newsletter, Issue 4, was published at the end of October.
NDIS Website http://www.ndis.gov.au/
Learn what support is available:
Anyone can check their eligibility for support by using their online tool:
Breaking Down Barriers Webinar
Date: Tuesday, 10 December 2013
Time: 12:00pm – 1:00pm (AEDT)
Breaking down barriers, pushing boundaries and forging inclusion through innovation.
We want to hear from people with disability, carers, advocates, support providers and community members about breaking down barriers.
Please join us for this interactive online video webinar. Following the International Day of People with Disability celebrations and Breaking Down Barriers to Open Doors theme, three dynamic representatives of the disability community will join together in an inspiring discussion on breaking down barriers, pushing boundaries and forging inclusion through innovation.
Watch the webinar on your computer or host a viewing for a group. The webinar comprises audio, visual, live captioning and Auslan to make it as widely accessible as possible.
You will have the opportunity to participate in the discussion by sending through a question on the topic of breaking down barriers, before or during the webinar on 10 December 2013.
Register your attendance and submit a question on the topic to #NDISwebinar via Twitter, phone 1800 800 110 or email [email protected] to join the conversation.
For more information on the webinar visit our upcoming events page or call us on 1800 800 110. A link to the webinar will be provided soon so that you can join the webinar directly on 10 December. Please visit our website or find us on Facebook to find out more. Spread the word by forwarding this email to a friend or download, print and distribute the below webinar poster.