Government announces plan to improve the NDIS
The government released a plan to improve the NDIS in mid-November, in recognition of persistent shortcomings in the strategies, systems and processes that have been limiting its value to users. Six focus areas were announced:
quicker access and quality decision-making
increased engagement and collaboration
market innovation and improved technology
a financially sustainable scheme
equitable and consistent decisions, and
improve long-term outcomes for people with disability, their families and carers.
Read more . . . https://ministers.dss.gov.au/speeches/5266
NDIA apologises to 2 families waiting months for urgent funding
The seriousness of the shortcomings in the current scheme were highlighted once again less than two weeks after the government’s announcement of the plan for improvement.
The difficulties that two families have been facing while waiting months for funding are described in an article on ABC News, including major decisions about the need to move house to continue paying for care and the frustration and stress placed on the families due to inadequacies in how the scheme functions.
NDIA Newsletter 8 November
- Webinar – How to get the most out of your NDIS plan
- Disability Reform Council update
- NDIA Board announces new CEO
- Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) design standards
- How do I find NDIS providers in my area?
- NDIS Participant Employment Strategy and Easy Read
- Understanding the Price Guide
- $65m in ILC Grants announced
- Web Story: Lily dives into global goals
NDIA Newsletter 27 September
- Funding for disability-related health supports
- Community grant rounds open
- NDIS TV: Visits Norfolk Island
- New info for referring developmental delay
- NDIS TV: Lleyton’s loving life on Norfolk Island
- Removing gaps between plans
- NDIS TV: Jeremiah’s learning key word signing
- Web Story: Matthew powers to independence
- NDIS TV: Jonty’s back living on Norfolk Island
NDIS webinars on a range of topics are available for viewing on their website: https://www.ndis.gov.au/news/webinars