Charity provides services in NSW
ParaQuad NSW provides services to support people who have damage or trauma to the spinal cord resulting from injury or disease, and their families and carers to achieve their choices in life. Formed in 1961 as the Paraplegic and Quadriplegic Association of NSW, ParaQuad is a not-for-profit member-based association with offices in Sydney and Newcastle offering a range of services across NSW.
ParaQuad’s services include:
- Accommodation Services for people with transitional and long term care needs. ParaQuad has two modern, accessible and purpose built accommodation facilities located in Sydney: Ferguson Lodge at Lidcombe offers short-term respite, transitional and long term accommodation; and Berala (near Auburn) provides short to medium term accommodation for people who require transitional, modified and accessible housing. Please contact the Accommodation Manager on (02) 9646 3711 or email [email protected] for further information.
- Attendant Care Services which provides in-home support, personal care including domestic assistance and assistance to access the local community for people with a physical disability. To apply please call ParaQuad’s Attendant Care Manager on (02) 8741 5626, or email to [email protected].
- Spinal Wellbeing Service which provides specialist spinal nursing, occupational therapy, social work and peer support services. Occupational therapy and social work services are available in the Greater Sydney Area. Occupational therapy, nursing and peer support services are available in the Hunter and surrounding areas. Peer support by telephone outside the Hunter region is available on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Intake and Referral Line on (02) 8741 5674 or email [email protected]. For peer support, please call David Coren, our Peer Support Officer at our Northern Branch Office on (02) 4969 6388 or email [email protected].
- Scholarship Program provides financial assistance for members to pursue educational and career training. Applications for the scholarship program for 2014 have closed. However, please email [email protected] to be added to our mailing list. We can then notify you when applications open again.
- Specialist Health Care Products such as continence, wound care, skin care and mobility aids through our products division BrightSky. Please call the Customer Care Line on 1300 88 66 01, email on [email protected] or visit the website for further information.
- Training, Education and Community Awareness Program offers training about spinal cord injury to personal carers and a number of other groups in the community including disability awareness to corporate organisations and schools.For more information on courses please contact us on (02) 8741 5662 or email [email protected].
- Community Support Service based in the Hunter region works with you in providing support for a healthy lifestyle through: advocacy; social groups and activities; health information; workshops; our volunteer program; access to community resources links to health and other services; and involvement in local events. For more information, please call Melanie Lloyd, our Community Development Officer on (02) 4969 6388 or email [email protected].
Becoming a member of ParaQuad can bring great value and support. You will receive information, news and services and become part of the spinal community, share stories, be inspired and above all know that help is close by. Find out more about becoming a member of ParaQuad NSW.
DISCOVERING HOW THE NATIONAL DISABILITY INSURANCE SCHEME (NDIS) AND PARAQUAD WORKS WITH YOU
In NSW, the first stage of the NDIS has been launched in the Hunter. Servicing the Hunter region for over 40 years, ParaQuad NSW is an experienced registered provider to support you with NDIS.
Who will be eligible for support in the first stage locations of an NDIS?
When fully implemented, the NDIS will provide support to people who have a permanent and significant disability, which affects their ability to participate in the community or employment and requires care and support.
If you are a person with a disability and you meet the access requirements you can become a participant in the scheme. As a participant, you will be able to access NDIS individualised planning processes to identify the reasonable and necessary supports you need to enable you to achieve your goals. To get an idea about whether you meet the access requirements, you can use the “My Access Checker” which is available at http://www.ndis.gov.au/my-access-checker. The tool is anonymous and will determine if you can access assistance from NDIS.
How can ParaQuad NSW assist me?
ParaQuad NSW is a registered NDIS provider in New South Wales that supports the following classes of support under the scheme:
• Accommodation/tenancy assistance
• Assistance with daily personal activities and household tasks
• Assistive equipment for leisure, recreation, general tasks and demands
• Assistive products for household tasks
• Assistive technology specialist assessment, set up and training
• Participation in community, social and civic activities
• Specialised assessment of skills, abilities and needs
• Managing life stages, transitions and supports
• Assistive products for personal care and safety
• Development of daily living and life skills
• Management of funding for support under a participants plan
• Physical wellbeing activities
• Training for independence in travel and transport
Contact Paraquad: ParaQuad’s Sydney office on (02) 8741 5600 or email [email protected] and our Northern Branch Office in Newcastle on (02) 4969 6388 or email [email protected].
Our social media sites include: Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/ParaQuadNSW; twitter https://twitter.com/ParaQuadNSW; and youtube, http://www.youtube.com/paraquadnsw.